Friday, May 31, 2013

What I Love: 5/31/13

Today's topic: A vivid memory.

One of my clearest memories of my mission trip to Africa was when my team visited Mumena. It was a tiny village, but the people there really burrowed into my heart. The poverty there was so heart-wrenching and to know that it was just one of millions of villages in Africa just as stricken broke my heart. One woman was living in a house the size of a twin bed. It was simply made of straw, and just like the tree little pigs story, I'm sure a strong wind would blow it over. The roof was so low that I'm sure she could not stand up straight, and she wasn't that tall to begin with. She was probably in her sixties. The sight of her standing next to that tiny shed will be with me forever, and I hope it will always break my heart, not because I like having my heart broken but because then I will be moved to change it.

Our guide showing us the hut. Someone LIVES here.
The owner of the house

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!